Friday, September 17, 2010

One Idea at a Time

Wouldn't life be great if it only handed us one challenge at a time? That way we could tackle one before moving to the next. Unfortunately life is generally more like juggling than walking in a line. Whenever I write, I want to sneak off topic and throw in random ideas that belong to another topic, paper or discussion. This post will be covering my personal goal of coloring within the lines.

The people I enjoy talking to the most are people that can switch gears quickly because it allows for dynamic conversations that cover sprawling topics. These people are interesting to talk on the phone, online or in-person. They are generally less focused on themselves because there's really a lot to talk about in life. These conversations are jammed packed with interesting tidbits, so much that there str usually a few tracks the conversation goes on and even at times, one or both parties might say "What were we talking about again?" or "What did you say before I told you about the time that caribou drove my boat?"

I seriously love these conversations but there is a few problems with being spontaneous when it comes to writing. One problem is that some stories never get told because something else gets covered. A bigger problem is that it lacks focus. Looking through my previous blog entries, my posts are not clean, they tend to meander. It could be that I'm being to tough on myself, but it could also be that I am still not 100% sure of what my blog is about. Either way, I need to be more tough on the editing side of writing and just delete or tweak the wayward topics.


(No kittens were harmed in the making of this video *at least I hope not)

Problems that could be adding to my dilemma:
  • Wanting my posts to be a certain length
  • Trying to do too much a once
  • Not editing enough
  • Not planning, just blogging 
Still a n00b blogger over here and I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you focus / stay on topic when writing.

1 comment:

  1. Mostly editing and really remembering my POINT of the post, what i want to say. If i could say it in 3 sentences i think of those and elaborate on that only

    ReplyDelete